League of Women Voters of Monroe County
Revised and adopted June 26, 2013
The League of Women Voters does not support or oppose any political party or candidate. However, the LWVMC values the many skills and types of experiences that individual members bring to the League, including those learned in life through elective or appointive office. In fact, involvement in the public and political life of this country is something that the League of Women Voters recommends for all citizens and other members of the public.
Nevertheless, the LWV board believes that some basic limitations on board members’ political activity, while they are serving in this capacity, are necessary to protect the nonpartisanship of the League as an organization. Other than in her/his official capacity, the president shall not engage in any political activity, partisan or nonpartisan, including political fundraising events.
In order to balance these goals, the LWVMC board adopts the following policy. This policy shall be reviewed and amended or readopted by the LWVMC board at the beginning of each biennium.
- Elected Office. A Board member shall not run for nor hold any partisan elective office at any level of government. A Board member may run for or hold local nonpartisan elective office, after consultation with the LWVMC Board, and the president of the affected local League.
- Political Party Office. A Board member shall not serve in any official position in a political party at any level of government.
- Political Campaigns. A Board member shall not chair a political campaign or administer fundraising for a political campaign, chair a campaign event, be a spokesperson, or work in any other significant way in the campaign for a partisan office at any level of government.
- Campaign Contributions. A Board member shall not make campaign contributions to campaigns or candidates for any local, state or federal office, or to political parties or other entities contributing to such races.
- Social and Other Media. A Board member shall not indicate her/his political affiliations or candidate preferences at any level of government in the media, including on social networking sites, or other public venues that often prominently identify her/him as a members of the LWVMC Board.
- Additional Clarification. Board members shall present questions about a specific situation to the LWVMC Board where the foregoing positions do not resolve the question.